Saturday, February 5, 2011

Where have I been?!


Ah, the joys of a busy life preventing regular blog updates. Sigh.

Here's the run down of what's happened since we last met!

The weather turned foul in November and it's not looking up yet. We made ends meet with some light hacking in the snow until I had to go home for my December break, which was enjoyable enough (though cold). I acquired a lovely saddle - Courbette Vision - that fits Domino and me really nicely, and I now have a functional bridle again, too! It was quite the shock at first, but we're both back to being fine in normal tack once more.

Then the snow came. It was cold, but pretty. Domino practiced being a handsome studmuffin model for me. I learned that Vaseline does wonders for keeping ice and snow out of pony hooves. His feet have looked pretty great for him, with his notoriously crappy feet, this winter.

We did have to spend a depressing amount of time indoors - and this is still true - but we kept our chins up. And ate lots of carrots. It was a difficult job, but Domino was up to the task.

I returned to school in January after a break over the holidays. Domino was doing well, but starting to show his frustration at the awful Ohio weather. I started paying for use of an indoor arena about two football fields from home. We had a couple rough spots due to me struggling with personal issues and Domino being a bit of a manipulative little dude. The first few attempts at walking over ended in tears, a pony dead set on rearing/spinning/bolting, and other frustrations. I learned, however, that with the company of a friend, I became much more confident and the walks got easier. This way, Domino and I made it over to the arena for a few productive rides.



Now, things are slowly starting to look up. I'm dealing with my issues and getting some of my confidence back (i.e. not letting my pony try to trample me). Domino is remembering those things he has called manners. All in all, we're learning to enjoy ourselves as best as we can in the sad weather. Domino has proven very good at enjoying himself.


Next up? Trick training to beat the winter blues! Domino is going to learn to look "ashamed". I'm sure he will feel ashamed that I have started making him do these silly things.

No comments:

Post a Comment